Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Jr. Trappers play-by-play man exchanges the microphone for a bat

Press Release

Matt Sookram is looking to try and fulfill a childhood dream.

The 22-year-old play-by-play for Jr. Trappers FastHockey.com internet broadcasts, is heading to Yuma, Arizona to take part in the Arizona Winter League; a one-month developmental league for players who have played at the College or University level in North America.

The second baseman/shortstop found out about the unique opportunity by surfing the Blue Jays website.

“Basically, you get to play in front of a bunch of scouts for a month from the major league level, there are scouts from Japan and a bunch of independent North American league teams will be there as well. They give you the ultimate baseball experience,” said Sookram, who played for the York University Varsity Baseball team.

Sookram, a graduating student of the Broadcast Journalism program at Canadore College, has been doing play-by-play for the Trappers since last year’s playoff series versus the Abitibi Eskimos last March.

“Getting a chance to do broadcasting with the Trappers has been a huge advantage for me,” said the Brampton native.

“Honestly, I don’t see it as a job because it is something I enjoy doing, I mean, it’s just so fun. I’m just calling it as I’m seeing it and that is what the job is and that is what I enjoy and hopefully that is something I would love to do as a profession whether its baseball or hockey – baseball would be the ultimate – but I love doing Trappers hockey so I could see that continuing as well.”

The Jr. Trappers organization will miss his broadcasting expertise.

“We wish Matt tremendous success in Arizona,” said Jr. Trappers President/GM Chris Dawson.

“I love the knowledge and enthusiasm he brought with him during every Jr. Trappers broadcast. If he brings that with him to the ball diamond, his dream may come true.”

Sookram saved up for this opportunity and he is hoping to make the best of it.

“In some ways I would love to come back (to North Bay) but on the other hand getting paid to play baseball is something that has always been a dream of mine and that’s what I’m going to work towards,” said Sookram.

(Nathan can be reached at fourniern@students.nescom.edu)

No comments: